General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. pdf navigation back and forward button

When reading a pdf, sometimes you navigate through it while following a Figure hyperlink, for example. There is no way to navigate "back" to the text after seeing the figure.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. citation style

Here you should add the Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and the Magnetic resonance in Medicine

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Import Webpages as PDF

Webpages can easily be printed into an PDF. Importing these PDFs wolud be much better, than Webpages, which do not preserve theire structure

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make sure bibtex file generation generates the same file everytime

It seems that everytime mendeley decides to regenerate the bibtex file, the order is random.

Because I sometimes compile my latex file via console only access I also commit my bibtex file in my git repository.

But due to constantly changing sequence of the bibtext file, the commits become confusing.

If you'd sort the bibtex entries based on the key, that would help anyone version tracking the bibtex file.

(bothered my for a few versions, but is still not working as wished in version 1.0)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow selection of primary file for preview

Many of my articles have supporting information that I like to keep as a second file with the primary article. However, in a number of cases it has become the default file to open with Mendeley Desktop and I can't change it or reorder the files in any way. In addition, "my publications" which are uploaded to mendeley web have the same problem and the previews of almost all of my papers has defaulted to the supporting information file instead of the main text. Please implement some way to choose which file is primary and which is secondary.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Put all annotations and highlights bunched up together and review easily

I believe it would be great if mendeley could put all the contents of annotations and highlights bunched up together and listed up with their article information. And it would be useful we could sort the list by date, group, etc. To my image, It can be said as reviewing one notebook involving our own comments.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Cross reference cited papers with my library

I want to know which of the papers that have been referenced by a paper are already within my library, and vice versa when I read a paper I want to know where it has been cited in my library.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Author management system for Mendeley Desktop

Authors are now often shown multiple times in the filter list with different spellings: 'Doe, John D.'; 'Doe, J. D.' and 'Doe, J.D.'. To merge these, each paper has to manually be modified.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Edit default citation key

It would be good to be able to edit the default citation key style for latex users. For instance, I like it lowercase:
    authorYEARfirstwordsecondword

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Sync annotations from Mendelay Desktop to Web

If i make annotations in a pdf file on using Mendelay Desktop they don't show up on the website.

Even when I annotate externally (open pdf externally, highlight in acrobat reader, save changes), the annotations don't get synced. All the software would have to do is detect a timestamp change on the pdf file and re-upload (or prompt me if i want to upload)

The only way I can get the annotations into my 'cloud' library is to remove the pdf in desktop, then add it back, then synch.

I don't think the built in annotations synch either, or at…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug: Check for duplicates doesn't remember Not a duplicate

If you "Check for duplicates", then click "Not a duplicate", then click "Check for duplicates", the paper which you marked not a duplicate shows up again. This is the v1.0 preview.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. copyrights - default exclusion of pfd from web catalog

Many journals in my field (psychology) own the copyright for articles published in those journals. When adding an article to Mendeley desktop it includes the pdf by default in the Web catalog. It would be great if it would not do that by default (or if I could switch this default option off).

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Better Ubuntu Unity integration

Mendeley should integrate better with Ubuntu's Unity in two main aspects. First, whenever you drag a reference to organize into a folder, Unity's bar opens and makes it difficult to do this task when using Mendeley in full screen. Sometimes Unity bar stays open after doing this drag task and only hides back when Mendeley is closed. Secondly, Mendeley's menu should be integrated into Unity's title bar, saving some space. Most applications already do this in Ubuntu.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. manually edit bibtex

It would be nice if I could manually edit the bibtex data for spesific entries.
    because sometimes, like for websites i want to add, i would need a different output in my latex file...

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Download pdf on demand rather than storing locally.

Currently Mendeley Desktop will open PDF files and store the file permanently on the local hard drive. I suggest an option to download and view PDFs on demand inside of the desktop client without storing the file locally. Instead of associating an entry with a path to the local PDF file, the application could store a URL instead. PDFs can be downloaded on demand as often as necessary, and stored temporarily in a local temp directory. This suggestion would save space on the local hard drive of many users.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exclude watching of subfolders of watched folders

I would like to be able to "uncheck" some subfolders of a watched folder from being watched. Currently, those subfolders are checked by default, and the check mark cannot be removed.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Watched Folders: refresh, check for new files

I often add new files to my library while Mendeley is open. I would like to be able to refresh the library to check for these new files and for these to appear in the "Recently Added" category. Watched Folders has been a little problematic for me.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. bug: export pdf with annotations

Many people commented that they already can use the option to export files in pdf with the notes ... However, in my case, I cant export it. I would like to understand why this is happening because it seems that I can only export the observations without the article. When I try to export the article with notes and highlighter it doesn't work

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add 'Clear Citation Metadata' command

Every so often I import a PDF report which has a similar title to a journal article but isn't. Mendeley adds the wrong metadata and I have to go through and manually delete the lot. It would be helpful to have a 'Clear Metadata' command in a contextual menu for each citation in the library.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base