General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Retain columns when searching

When I search for a particular phrase / author using the search box, Mendeley shows up results all right, however, the columns Year, Publication, etc are not displayed.

The feature would help in finding earliest / latest publications in a particular area when searching using a phrase.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expand field "title" to character length more than 255.

Necessary for correct citation of IEEE standards.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Inconsistent use of initials by same author, initials in citations

I suggest a warning appear to say that there's a similar author already stored in your library and to ask if they're the same person.

This will help stop Mendeley putting initials in front of authors' names in in-text citations.

Authors can be inconsistent in their use of their own initials and names. This may be due to differing requirements by different journals. However, it creates a problem in Mendeley because Mendeley ends up treating them as different authors unless manually altered. This means when citing different works by the same author in one text Mendeley will insert the different…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add paper alerts: pubmed et al provide RSS alerts for keywords, easy to create a tab for that!

Pubmed, sciencedirect and the like provide ways to set up RSS alerts for keywords, it'd be so nice to be able to see the alerts and one-click add papers to the library!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. shared authorships

Equal contributions are not yet represented in the bibliography and the list of authors cannot be manipulated in order to emphasize a shared first authorship for instance.
    Would be great if a feature for this could be implemented!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Include Boot Camp partition in Watched Folders list

In Mendeley Desktop for Mac OS, only the Mac OS drive is available in the Watch Folder dialog. I keep all of my papers on a separate Boot Camp partition. Would it be possible to include folders in the Boot Camp partition in the "Watched Folders" list?

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Seperate escape option for URLs

There is an option in Mendeley as to whether escape special sequences in BibTeX sync, i.e. _ is escaped by \_, & by \% etc.. There are, however, packages such as BibLaTeX, which handle URLs differently by using the URL package, which does not require special characters to be escaped. There should be two toggles for escaping, one for text fields and one for URL fields. Otherwise, _ in a URL appear as \_ in the LaTeX output.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Possibility for choosing which fields are included when exporting a BibTeX file

Please add the possibility for choosing which fields (abstract, author, year, url, mendeley-tags, etc.) are included when exporting a BibTeX file.
    This will make the BibTeX file less cluttered and only include the fields of your interest.

585 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    63 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. rotate single pages

It would be nice to be able to rotate single pages (e.g. that contain tables) as in Mac's 'Preview' and then save the pdf so that you don't have to rotate them again every time you open the article.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. labels instead of folders

When trying to keep my library organised, quite often I have the problem that I need to choose which folder a paper really belongs to.

Currently, a paper can only belong to one single folder, but regularly, a paper combines multiple seperate ideas, each of which might have created a folder for.

It would be nice to have a concept of labels rather than folders, so that a single paper can have multiple labels (much in tha same way gmail manages its conversations).

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Duplicates on shared folders

Duplicates are generated on shared group folders by dragging the same local entry twice into it.

This could be prevented by simply checking doi etc. against the entries already present there.

I our group this frequently happens as all coworkers are ask to put copies of their papers into a shared folder. Please fix this.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. original publication bibtex

I want to include the original publication date into my bibliography, separate from the date of the collection.
    It should yield something like: Putnam 2002 [1983].
    I have noticed the original publication field in mendeley, but I'm unable to bring it over neither to open office writer nor to the bibtex file for latex.
    1) When exporting to bibtex files, could you make sure that it is included in the bibtex file, in a way which could be used by latex? Most straightforward: change the date field to 2002 [1983].
    2) Is there a citation style that does it for…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Suggest duplicate authors

I love being able to merge duplicate authors with a quick drag-and-drop, but it's difficult to keep on top of which authors are nicely merged and which are still scattered across "Lastname, First"; "Lastname, F" and "Lastname, f.". It would be wonderful to have a system, much like the duplicate document finder, that finds potentially duplicated authors and notifies me about them.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. improve the way references are moved between folders

I find the process for moving references between folders to be awkward and unintuitive. I would like to just drag a reference out of one folder into another.
    What happens at the moment is that it copies the reference to that folder, and I have to check it worked (or assume), and remove the reference from the original folder.
    Maybe you could add a popup menu when you drag a file to another folder, so that it asks "move or copy?".
    Also, if you drag a file to a folder and end up with duplicates, and then you delete the…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Deal with handles (HDL) as you do with DOIs

Handles (HDL) are generalizations of DOIs (actually, each DOI is a HDL). So treat them similarly (as a catalog ID).

More info:
    http://www.handle.net/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_System

Many institutional repositories use HDLs.

For example: http://hdl.handle.net/1854/LU-1863955

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to disable instant search

Could you provide an option where one can disable the instant search (search while you type). In long pdfs it is really annoying to wait for completion of the search for ("a", "an"...).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve MS Word plug-in to recognize document sections

I often need to insert multiple bibliographies into a single document, one for each separate section (using MS Word section breaks). I would like the Mendeley plug-in to recognize MS Word section breaks so I can have completely separate sets of citations and bibliographies for each section. Thanks.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I'm currently using the Nitro PDF for editing my text such as CROSSOUT TEXT and UNDERLINE TEXT

I recommend you add the features of editing PDF files such as UNDERLINE Text and CROSS OUT Text, as the other software (e.g.NITRO PDF) currently has it. Tnx

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base