General

What can we do to help your research?

Here you can suggest and vote on improvements for future Mendeley releases.

If you have a suggestion regarding a specific part of Mendeley, please use the links on the right hand side of the window to add your suggestion to the corresponding area.

If you are looking for help using Mendeley or encounter any problems, please visit our Support Forum

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add entry manually by bibtex

it would be nice if you could improve the "Manually add entry"-feature with a bibtex-parser, so Bibtex could be imported over clipboard and not only with a bibtex-file.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I have a Thesis with Endnote, how to migrate to Mendeley

Hello,

I have one question, in how to do it. I have my Thesis written in Word using EndNote and I really want to change to Mendeley.

So, how can I do this? I need to delete all Endnote citations and insert all citations again with Mendeley?? Or there's another option?

Thanks a lot.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. BUG: Mendeley stalls when searching large PDFs

When searching for words in a large PDF file (a textbook of 700+ pages), Mendeley becomes unresponsive for several seconds.

The search should be done in its own thread. Or at least, the search should not be done as every character is typed in files over a certain size--or make it a user-configurable option to have to press Enter before the search proceeds

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Can change the background color of pdf document

The default background color of the pdf document is white. Sometime it seems too bright. If we can turn it darker, maybe it will be better for our eyes.

243 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Revise the Metadata Fields for "Case" Fiels

I love that Mendeley includes Case as a standard file type, but the metadata fields associated with Cases are not particularly helpful.

A Bluebook standard case citation includes: Case Name, Reporter Citation, Secondary Reporter Citation, Deciding Court, Year of Decision, Subsequent History, and Authors.

Not all of these fields are supported by the Case document type.

At the same time, the Case document type includes both a Year and a Date Decided, which is generally irrelevant. The fields also include an area for "Counsel" generally - not broken into Counsel for Appellant and Counsel for Appellee.

I would love to…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Follow updates of arXiv & ADS papers

The papers which are daily "published" on arXiv are usually not-yet-accepted by Journals. Moreover, the PDF files can have subsequent revisions. This is in particularly noticeable in Astrophysics and related topics, where arXiv (/astro-ph) is very busy, but usually with normal peer-reviewed submissions which WILL eventually become journal papers.
    It could be nice if a paper which you import on arXiv will be followed, so that updated PDFs will be synchronized automatically.
    Furthermore, once the journal has published the paper, the PDF can be updated automatically to hold the final online journal version. This would naturally save a lot of…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. FASEB

Please include "The FASEB Journal" citation style

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide a workflow to migrate an existing word document from EndNote

Is it possible to automatically change all EndNote fields of an existing word document to Mendeley? (After importing the library from endnote of course)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add number of citations from ISI web of science

Add number of citations in the ISI web of science automatically. Similar to what ResearcherID does...

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Preview of citation styles

There should be an option to see a preview of the citation styles in "Select Citation Style" screen. It can briefly shown under the style definition

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Link to mendeley entries from other apps

Provide a url that can be used to link into mendeley from other applications (eg. evernote/onenote, or GTD managers).

This is useful for keeping data connected between apps

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "cite popup" or "jump back"

I would really appreciate a feature which -while you read a paper- shows you the cited and crosslinked reference on mouseover (like on sciencedirect.com). Or - as I assume less tricky to implement - a "jump back to last position" function to use after I clicked on and jumped to the cited reference at the end of the document.

All this "click, jump, read, then scroll back, scroll back, where was I, scroll forward, scroll back, there it is" makes me dizzy :)

Thank you for making this awesome program!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Synchronize Mendeley settings between computers/devices

It would be beneficial to be able to synchronise Mendeley's settings between different computers if logged into the same account. Currently it only appears that the references and files are synchronised. If, for example I have different file name settings, a duplicate of the file is created.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow 'Split Citations'

I have several citations in a merged 'group', for example "... some fact [2-5]."

I'd like to be able to split the citations up so that I can remove one of them and merge them back together.

i.e. I'd like to remove citation number 3 from that merged block. How can I do that?

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Colour coded stars

It would be helpful if rather than simply starring an article as important we could label them, i.e. with coloured stars (etc). This would not be required if subcollections could be made within collections!

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. don't automatically create "~/Documents" under Linux on startup when it's not used in options.

The Mendeley desktop software automatically creates a "~/Documents" folder under Linux, even if that location is never used by the program. (It also appears to create a "~/Desktop" on install.)

Whilst it's fine to create this when it's a watched folder or document location, it's very annoying to have to delete that folder every time I run Mendeley.

I know it's part of the freedesktop.org specification, but that's not really an excuse for creating an unnecessary new directory in a user's home directory.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. add more styles of marking the documents (i.e. flags)

favorite and read/unread is not enough it can do better with additional marking possibility

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base