I suggest you ...

BibTeX export: Missing required field "note" in unpublished items

Not only the required field is missing - Mendeley seems not to support the field "note" at all.

134 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
alexander.willner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue in 1.17.9! This feature is absolutely crucial not only for citing 'standard' working papers correctly, but also if we want to describe some document types which are not supported by Mendeley.

• Michael Truelsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

version 1.16.1 still having this issue. Bibtex gives me the warning of empty note in "unpublished" style where it is required

• r r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed it isn't fixed (not in 1.14 either). And Mendeley is terribly inconsistent: for some references the "annote" field is exported to the .bib file and for some references it is not. This is a huge mess.

• Erik Scherpf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also strongly urge Mendeley to include a "note" field, distinct from "annotate" field, for bibliographic entries, the contents of which would then get exported in a "note" field in BibTeX. This feature is crucial for citing working papers correctly.

• Tobias Baltensperger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can edit your bibliography style file (bst-file) to circumvent the problem:
    Mendeley exports "Notes" as "Annote" in the bib-file. Open your bst-file, search for "note", copy those variables/functions and replace "note" with "annote". Now your bst-file should treat the Mendeley-exported "Annote" the same way as "note", and you can use the "notes" field in Mendeley properly.
    I've never done any bst-editing before, so please post better solutions / negative side-effects if you encounter any.

• OBrendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The export should not only export the note field but also the Annotations filed (sticky notes utility) to the bibtex key, otherwise all notes done with this utility are lost

• scampagn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to add a note to some entry (like "also published ..." or "on print"). I used to do that in the "note" field in BibTeX. If I do this in Mendeley (in the note section), it is exported in "annote", which is not a recognized entry! Is this going to be solved? How can I add notes otherwise?

• Robert Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On import, the contents of the "note", "annote" or (non standard) "comment" fields get imported into Mendeley's Note field. On export, the Note field is exported to "annote".

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base