I suggest you ...

Third box for filling in author's names

It would be a good idea to divide authors' names in three parts instead of two: for instance, Dutch authors often have insertions in their names: given name, insertion(s), last name. Insertions can be for instance "van", "de" or "van de", causing authors, as it is now, to be found under the V or D of the insertions instead of under the first letter of their last name. A solution could be a third or middle box, in which insertions can be filled in. That could also be used by people who want to use their middle name: alphabetizing for instance "John G. Field" and "Jan G. van den Akker" would give "Field, John G." and "Akker, Jan G. van den"; the correct forms. In that way also the two letter abbreviation of "Jan G. van den Akker" would become "JA", as it should, instead of "JV", as it is now (although of course "JvdA" would be greatly preferred). If someone does not have an insertion, or no middle name, or does not want to use it (some people even have four of five names plus insertions) the field can be left empty; for them nothing changes.

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
A. van WeerdenA. van Weerden shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dennis WhitteDennis Whitte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still imagine how Dr Henry brought my ex lover back to me in just 3 days. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster whose love spell really works until i saw it does. am Dennis and I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real on line spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Henry of Permanent Spell Cast. He helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my ex lover who left me, When i contacted Dr Henry, he cast a love spell for me and my ex lover who said she doesn't have anything to do with me again called me 3 days after for us to settle all our differences and get back into the relationship. She is back now with so much love and caring. Today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the powers of bring lost lovers back as he had helped me. There is nothing else as great as been with the woman you love and i am so happy that my ex lover is back to me with the help of Dr Henry. If you have similar problem i will advise you to contact Dr Henry too, he is always there to help you and put a smile on your face as he did to me and others.
    Email: permanentspellcast@yahoo.com
    WhatsApp/Call: +2348100663964.

• sherry lugardsherry lugard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a miracle to have my ex back,my name is SHERRY LUGARD and i need to share this great testimony... I just want to say thanks Dr gbojie for taking time to help me cast the spell that brings back my ex lover {now my husband},who suddenly lost interest in me after six month of engagement,but today we are married and we are more happier than never before, I am really short of words and joyful, and i don't know how much to my appreciation to you doctor gbojie you are a God sent to restore broken relationship.he deeply enjoy helping people achieve their desires, find true love,getting their ex lovers back,stop abusive relationships,find success,attract happiness,find soul mates and more,contact him today. and let him show you the wonders and amazement of his Love Spell System. He deliver results at his best in real spell casting,email him for help on gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com or gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com you can also call him on +2349066410185 contact him on his websiite https://gbojiespelltemple.wordpress.com He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4} Blood Cancer
    {5} HPV
    {7} ALS
    {8} Hepatitis
    {9}Love Spell

• cherlyn soliecherlyn solie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read some testimonies about a love spell caster called Dr Kala on how he has helped lots of people in bringing back their ex lovers within 48hours, Sincerely I was just thinking if that was real and if this man could really help bring back my lover whom I love so much. I decided to contact him because I love my boyfriend very much and we have been apart for a couple of months I really missed him so much, I have tried all other means to get him back but did not work. I contacted Dr Kala and he told me that my ex will come back to me in the next 48 hours,Dr Kala did it and released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to see how much love we have share together. My ex is now back to me again. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my boyfriend is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up.All thanks goes to Dr Kala for the excessive work that he has done for me by helping me to get back with my ex boyfriend. I would like to drop Dr Kala contact email address and hope you see this testimony and contact him if you have a lover that you really want back so badly, His mail: kalalovespell@gmail.com or you can call and whatsapp him on +2347051705853.

• Willie GarciaWillie Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    Read my testimony!
    Getting ex back after a breakup.
    My boyfriend of a 2 year just broke up with me and am 28 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we've been arguing during the pregnancy a lot. After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn't have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me once and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy. I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my boyfriend came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my boyfriend are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Ahmed. as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come back to you Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com call/whatsapp: +2348160153829 save your crumbling home. I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you.

• Harry JamsHarry Jams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A big thanks to DR.oyinbo, who brought back my ex girlfriend. My name is Harry Jams, from UK. Last year, August 26th 2016, I proposed to my ex girlfriend and she agreed to marry me then we both planned for the wedding. Our wedding was to hold on September 30th. We had a little misunderstanding and she left me for another guy. I almost committed suicide; I never knew there was hope for me, a friend of mine would always advise me to be hopeful and that one day she will come back to me, Some times I will go to her house to beg her to come back to me because she really means a lot to me and I love her so much and she will ask me to leave her alone and I should never come to her house again. I found it really hard to fall in love with another girl, months passes by and I was waiting patiently for her to come back to me but in my heart I was still going through hell, there was a big hole in my heart.One morning I received a call from my friend and he told me to come to his house immediately, I quickly put on my clothes and ran to his house because I felt he was in trouble, when I got to he’s house, I met him on his computer system and I ask him what is the problem was, he said when he was browsing through the internet, he came across some testimonies on how a spell caster brought someone’s ex husband back. I was angry with him because he frightened me and now he’s telling about spell caster. I told him to forget about the matter because I never believed in spell casters, he asked me if I really want my ex girlfriend to come back to me and I said yes so he said I should give it a try because if you really need something that is very important to your life, then you go for it. I agreed to what he said and I took the spell casters email address and I emailed him, few minutes later he replied me and asked what can he do for me so I told him what I wanted and he asked me to do what ever he asked of me which I did. He told me not to worry that my ex girlfriend will come back crawling on her kneels asking for forgiveness as soon as he cast the spell so he cast the spell and the following day my ex girlfriend came back to me, right now I and my girlfriend are happy. This is the reason I decided to put it in writing so that anybody that is hopeless will find the reason to be hopeful. If you are in the same situation, DR.oyinbo is the right spell caster that will solve your problem . You can email him on: prophetpyinbojesus@gmail.com or you can call him at +2348074066640

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These solutions look potentially very useful. But there is another issue with finding all papers of an author by using the "filter by author". The problem is that sometimes the author first name is given as just the first letter, with or without a point, sometimes complete. It depends on the journal format and Mendely just reads what is given in the author list and if possible makes a DOI check to get more complete information if available... For example L van Beethoven, L. van Beethoven or finally Ludwig van Beethoven are usually the same person, but one or the other format coud be used in publications of this author on different journals and then all the three forms would appear as different items in the "filter by author" list... So when you select one of the items on the list you would not get all the papers by the same authors. As a workaround I manually change the names to have just the first letter of the first names (without dot), but that is not an ideal solution...
    I do not have a proposition for a solution actually but I think that there is a problem with this issue.

• A. van WeerdenA. van Weerden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the meantime, someone suggested a much better solution: suppose it would be possible to first choose a name format by choosing a country? Selecting a country would adjust the boxes to fill in, and the database then takes care of the rest: knowing which country's format is chosen, it knows how to alphabetize and address people.

• Roos GoverdeRoos Goverde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I so not have a name with an insertion, like described, I certainly agree with Anne van Weerden!

• Stof van StedumStof van Stedum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think also of Ludwig van Beethoven, the German composer. His surname is 'van Beethoven', but he sorts under de 'B', not 'v'. Like everybody knows him as Beethoven, so sorting under de 'v' is making him unfindable.
    Like A van Weerden, surname 'van Weerden', sorts under 'W', not 'v'. And I Stof van Stedum, surname 'van Stedum', sort under the 'S', not 'v'.

The Dutch and German differ a little, but the key point stays: Surnames beginning with 'van', 'van der', 'de' (and some more; all Dutch) and 'von' (German) don't sort under 'V' or 'D'.

Feedback and Knowledge Base